Travel Blog Equipment

I know you are probably asking where in Cornwall is this sand dune? I would like to tell you that I found a real secret here but instead this is a picture of me on one of my trips to Death Valley in CA. Once I have a nice picture of me shooting in Cornwall this will be added…

As a professional photographer and outdoor enthusiast, having the right equipment at the right price is vital for me.

Here is a list of gear that I deem essential for my travels: –


A high quality camera is important, but the best camera in any situation is the camera that you have with you.

Sony RX100

I always travel with my trusty RX100. It takes great images, has a decent zoom range and is tiny. The video quality is great and the OLED viewfinder makes it feel like I’m shooting with a ‘real’ camera! I still use the mkiii version but iv and v are also amazing (and more money!)

[amazon_link asins=’B00KW3BJ1Y’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’secretsofcorn-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’d8e02fa2-7215-11e7-8516-c59f6b796b81′]


Canon 5ds

A great DSLR or high end mirrorless camera is a must for professional photography. I am personally a Canon/Leica guy but you can do equally well with Nikon, Sony etc.

Any of the 5d range is amazing. I am currently using a 5dsr but with current pricing would recommend the 5ds. The 5dmiv is amazing for low light but I prefer the larger pixel count for large prints from the 5ds.

[amazon_link asins=’B00ZIMBA36′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’secretsofcorn-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’0cd6d031-721a-11e7-aaef-e1732ada392b’]



Lenses are very specific to your goals and budget. I personally use the following: –

[amazon_link asins=’B0033567D8,B00KAQX65A,B002NEFLD2′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’secretsofcorn-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’edc1b362-721a-11e7-8aec-59517563b4ae’]


Plus everyone should own this lens! The ‘nifty-fifty’ is a classic. Super cheap, plasticky but PIN sharp!

[amazon_link asins=’B00005K47X’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’secretsofcorn-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’10a965b3-721b-11e7-a088-ef2e8bfc7f44′]


A good tripod is the most important purchase a photographer (especially a landscape/travel photographer) can make. There is nothing more debilitating than a bad tripod and a good one will last a lifetime (unlike the camera body which you will replace every few years!)

There are two main brands for me when it comes to tripods. Gitzo and Really Right Stuff.

Gitzo make fantastic carbon legs but I recently moved to a Really Right Stuff Ball head.

[amazon_link asins=’B016NSFTIK’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’secretsofcorn-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’de3e9202-721d-11e7-aa13-e5446af6c470′]

Really Right Stuff Ball head - secrets of cornwall

Camera Bag

By far and away the best camera bags I have come across are made by Peak Design. They are incredibly well made and full of amazing innovations. Do check them out and if you buy through this link you will get a free gift!

Peak Design camera bag

Memory Cards

A good, fast and reliable memory card is vital. CF or SD will be required depending on your camera. Also, invest in a decent USB3 reader. This will dramatically speed up the transfer times!

[amazon_link asins=’B00ICD3Y9Q,B00ICD3YAU,B00V3IEMNO’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’secretsofcorn-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’270040f3-721f-11e7-ba20-d323de126ac4′]


For me 95% of my post production time is spent in Adobe Lightroom, the other 5% is in Photoshop.

If you want to see more of my work then please visit me at JJWarren Photography or on Instagram

If you have any question, please do get in contact!